• American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC)
AACC is an international scientific/medical society of clinical laboratory professionals, physicians, research scientists and other individuals involved with clinical chemistry and related disciplines.
• American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
The goal of the ASCO is to improve cancer care and prevention.
• American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
The mission of the American Society for Clinical Pathology is to provide excellence in education, certification, and advocacy on behalf of patients, pathologists and laboratory professionals.
• American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
The ASM is the world's largest scientific society of individuals interested in the microbiological sciences. The mission of the ASM is to advance the microbiological sciences as a vehicle for understanding life processes and to apply and communicate this knowledge for the improvement of health and environmental and economic well being worldwide.
• Association of Molecular Pathology (AMP)
AMP works to develop mechanisms for training and certification in diagnostic molecular pathology.
• College of American Pathologists (CAP)
CAP is the leading organization of board-certified pathologists, serves patients, pathologists, and the public by fostering and advocating excellence in the practice of pathology and laboratory medicine.
• Clinical Laboratory Management Association (CLMA)
CLMA empowers laboratory professionals to achieve excellence in leadership through forward-thinking educational, networking, and advocacy opportunities.
• Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI)
CLSI is a global, nonprofit, standards-developing organization that promotes the development and use of voluntary consensus standards and guidelines within the health care community.
• Clinical Virology Society (CVS)
CVS aims to foster the development of new techniques for rapid viral diagnosis, to improve quality control for reagents, to sponsor training programs, scientific meetings and symposia, to disseminate relevant information, to coordinate activities with other organizations, and to encourage collaborative research.
• American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification
ASCP offers a formal certification process that requires education, clinical training and experience, and successful completion of the certification examination for Technicians, Technologists, Specialists, and Diplomates in Laboratory Management.
• Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA)
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) regulates all laboratory testing (except research) performed on humans in the U.S. through the CLIA.
Publications and Other Resources
• Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
CDC′s mission is to collaborate to create the expertise, information, and tools that people and communities need to protect their health – through health promotion, prevention of disease, injury and disability, and preparedness for new health threats.
• Journal of Clinical Microbiology (JCM)
The most current research related to the laboratory diagnosis of human and animal infections and the role of the laboratory in both the management of infectious diseases and the elucidation of the epidemiology of infections.
• Medical Laboratory Observer
A peer-reviewed, lab management resource since 1969.
• Molecular Microbiology: Diagnostic Principles and Practice
Second Edition. Author: David H. Persing. 2011.
• Design Requirements Manual
National Institutes of Health
• Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention
• Laboratory Design; Approved Guideline
2nd Edition (GP18-A2), Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute